The morning sessions were very heavy in the topics of quantum physics and electron distribution theory for metal and alloy materials. I was impressed by how much I remember from the extremely limited background that I have in quantum thoery. However, I was also humbled by just how smart some of these guys really are. The esoteric level of understanding is just incredible.
I sat with a few professors from various Australian universities during lunch and it was interesting to get their thoughts on science, academics, and life in general. The meal was good as well and, before I knew it, we were back in the afternoon sessions. Finally, at this point in the day, we were able to get wireless internet for the first time at the conference. I was glad to be able to catch up on e-mail and put out some wildfires that had come up over the past day or so. Luckily, nothing too pressing was going on (or at least nothing that someone else couldn't deal with for the time being).
The last session of the day was Neil Ashcroft (Cornell University - i.e. the only other American here). He was excellent. His talk centered on creating a metal state of hydrogen (similar to lithium, sodium, and/or cesium metal). Apparently potassium is different because it fills the 4s1 orbital prior to the 3d1 orbital - so he excluded that. But he did acknowledge that potassium also forms metals. Apparently, hydrogen is the most abundant substance in the solar system and Jupiter is almost entirely made up of hydrogen containing gases, liquid hydrogen and metallic hydrogen (as far as we can tell). At experimentally accessible temperatures, it is approximated that the pressure required to achieve a metallic hydrogen phase is somewhat greater than 400 GPa (higher than the pressure at the center of the Earth). Apparently, their group is doing theoretical work looking into using hydrides to do some of the pressurization work (i.e. densify the hydrogen) in order to create a hydrogen metal alloy (essentially) at experimentally accessible temperatures and pressures. The work is fascinating (from a less-than-useful perspective of a pure scientist).
Following dinner, I competed with the other graduate students and a few older guys in the conference trivia game. Anita and Tim were on the judges panel, so they had been avoiding discussing the questions with me for the last few weeks. Anyhow, our team did really well and we ended up finishing on top to win the trophy! The trophy itself is a heavy silver cup with a base that has all of the winner's names inscribed (similar idea as the Stanley Cup). So, our names will be forever immortalized on the trophy and it will stay at the University of New South Wales (the majority of the team members were from UNSW) until they will bring it to the meeting next year and another team will win it for a year.
So, now I'm back in the room ready for bed. Tomorrow I will present in the afternoon and I am looking forward to enjoying another day in Waiheke. Also, I'll get to share the trivia prize pinot with my teammates at the conference banquet held tomorrow evening!
No comments:
Post a Comment