Friday, February 5, 2010

Next stop, Queenstown

Today marked the end of the Wagga 2010 conference on Waiheke Island. After a morning of conference presentations, the conference ended with a final lunch before heading off to take the ferry back to Auckland. I had a good time at the conference. I definitely learned a few things about physics and the physics of solid state materials and I also was able to meet several very nice and very smart people. The ferry ride back was really nice because the the sky was not overcast (as it had been on the ferry to the island). Sitting on the upper deck (in the sun) I so badly wanted to just fall asleep and take a nap. At a few points, I had to focus on keeping my eyes open to enjoy the scenery and the smaller islands and yachts that we were passing along the way.

After returning to Auckland, Anita, Tim, and I went in search of a scarf for Tim to buy for his wife. We eventually found something nice and we took off to find a spot to have a few drinks and some food. We spent about an hour and a half at a Brazillian Steakhouse having drinks and snacks before leaving downtown Auckland to head back to the airport. It was nice to sit out in the nice afternoon sunshine and it was nice to see the waterfront area under the sun (as opposed to completely overcast skies). Several yachts were out racing and we could see them from our table located along one of the wharfs off of Quay Street. After some great food and drinks, we managed to get a taxi and went back to the airport. Anita and Tim were flying back to Melbourne and I managed to get transportation from the airport to the motel where I will be spending the night near the Auckland airport.

I have a flight to Queenstown tomorrow morning and it seemed best to just spend the night near the airport to make things easier tomorrow morning. The motel is nice and the folks at the front desk were very nice when I arrived. I am looking forward to a good night sleep with hopefully fewer disturbances than a noisy house filled with 5 other people!

No comments:

Post a Comment