The airport on Hamilton Island is very small and does not have air conditioning in any of the areas of the terminal. I checked in for my flight and decided it would be better to stay outside of security where there was a nice breeze. I sat for a while reading up on Sydney and Brisbane in my travel book and then decided it was time to go through security. I arrived in the departure lounge and immediately regretted that decision. It must have been 90 degrees and 95% humidity in that room! They had a bunch of fans going, but nothing seemed to be helping. I found a seat next to a window that offered some breeze and I figured that was about the best I could do. After sitting for a while, the girl sitting next to me decided to start up a conversation by asking about the flight they had just announced. After I replied, she asked where I was from and, low and behold, it turned out that we were both from Austin, Texas! What are the chances of meeting someone, by chance, from the same city on a tropical island located on the other side of the world.
Anyhow, I talked with Alex for a while. She is an event coordinator who works in the Far West area of Austin and lives down south of the Colorado River. She had something like 18 days off of work, so she decided to do a whirlwind tour through Australia for a couple weeks. It was nice to have someone to talk to since it made the heat and humidity seem less noticeable. She liked to talk, so I did a lot of listening. Turns out that she was born in the San Francisco bay area and went to college at Cal Santa Barbara before moving to Austin a few months before I moved there. So, that was nice. We talked about San Francisco (since I will be going there after I return to the States). It's always interesting to meet new people - especially when, compared to everyone else here, we had so much in common. Eventually it was time for her to head off to Brisbane and my flight for Sydney left shortly thereafter.
Boarding the plane was an interesting experience. The outside air was so humid, that it looked like the plane was filled with smoke because the air conditioning in the plane was condensing most of the water right out of the air. It was a bit strange, but the AC felt great! The flight was just over 2 hours long and it wasn't too bad. I've been somewhat spoiled by all these international flights and the domestic flights just aren't quite the same. Eventually we made it to Sydney and we had a great view of the harbor from our side of the plane. It was really cool seeing the Opera House as we came in to land at the airport.
I took advantage of the laundry facilities (by 'purchasing' laundry detergent from the mini-bar). Even at $4.50 for the detergent, this will likely be the least-expensive laundry opportunity I'll have during this trip. So, I definitely wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to wash all of the clothes that I wore hiking and exploring during my Hamilton Island visit. I also finalized and practiced my UNSW talk one more time. I just finished ironing my dress clothes for tomorrow and setting up my timing plan for how the day should go. I plan to get up early to go watch the sunrise over the Pacific Ocean and then I'll head to UNSW for the seminar. My flight is later in the evening, so I should have some time to make it back to the beach before I need to fly out!
No comments:
Post a Comment