Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Night of Appreciation and Reflection

Tonight was the conference dinner for the Wagga 2010 conference. Dinner was held at 'The Dunes' restaurant along the beach on an adjacent side of Waiheke Island. Tonight ended up being a very reflective night (perhaps for many different people in many different ways). For many folks here at the conference tonight was a night of talk about old times and previous Wagga conferences. For others, tonight featured memories and remembrance of departed colleagues. For me, I found tonight to be a chance to reflect and express my thanks for the opportunities that I have been so lucky to have...

Today started with a warm greeting from the morning sun and a spectacular view of the beach/water. After a good breakfast I weathered a short rainstorm by catching up on e-mail prior to the start of the morning's sessions. I sat through a few of the talks before deciding to return to my room. There I worked on my characterization manuscript and also read a few papers. It was surprisingly nice to focus on some 'normal' work for a change as many things here have often fallen in the category of extraordinary.

Following a great sushi lunch, I made final preparations for my talk and returned to the conference room. I believe that my talk was well received by the physics community assembled here on Waiheke. I had been a bit nervous about how such a scientifically staunch group would respond to such an applied (and clearly engineering) project. However, I think people enjoyed (or at least could relate to) the talk. I got a few solid questions
that gave me the opportunity to expand on other areas of our work. It was nice to have the opportunity to throw in a few extra bits to add to the overall presentation.

I recieved a suggestion from someone at ANSTO (the Australian nuclear research reactor facility) suggesting that I consider doing quasi-elastic neutron spectroscopy on my materials. This could provide information on the polymer chain mobilities under different hydrated, dehydrated, or salinated states. However, these experiments would fall into the classification of high risk/high reward. Anita suggested that it would be worth persuing so long as I could find someone who was willing to run (and help interpret) the experiment. This condition will probably sink this idea, but I can appreciate that neutron scattering is probably not a can of worms that I want to open at this stage of my Ph.D. research.


After my talk, I had some time to relax and I took advantage of this by exploring the island. I set off on foot to walk along various streets and paths figuring that, since I was on an island, I wouldn't have to worry too much about getting lost. After quite a nice walk, I wound up right back at the conference center (proving my initial hypothesis). I was glad that I was able to enjoy the beautiful weather and get a few great photos of Waiheke Island! (I'm starting to think that I won't have enough wall space in my apartment for all of these great photos!)

The bus ride to the conference dinner left at 7pm and proceeded to afford great views of the island as we weaved our way from the resort to the restaurant. Upon arrival, we were greated with tropical drinks along a nice stretch of beach. Eventually, we were seated and made our selections for dinner. I started off with excellent lamb cutlets and mushroom risotto followed by an equally excellent filet mignon served on garlic mashed potatoes. The meal was excellent and the dinn
er conversation was even better. I sat with Anita, Tim, and a few other notable physicists including David Miller and Neil Ashcroft. I felt honored to be at such an esteemed table.

I am so greatful for the opportunity to meet such influential and extrodinary people. Words cannot express the graditude that I feel toward all of those who have helped me to get to the point where I have these opportunities available to me. Though it does not do it justice, I would like to just say 'thank you.'


A recent advertising scheme for Amp (an energy drink) included the statement: before every moment, there is a moment. I like to think that there is a 'moment' that exists (either during or before) situations and/or events that I will remember for the rest of my life. I have found this trip to be full of such experiences. The names and situations are too numerous to list here, but I am so greatful for all of the unforgettable situations that I have been lucky enough to share in during my lifetime...

I will close tonight with the body of an e-mail (dated 16 January 2010) from my co-advisor, Prof. Benny Freeman:


"I forgot to tell you - your life will be forever changed (for the better) by these experience :) But, you may have already figured that out :)


Benny"

No comments:

Post a Comment