Wednesday, March 10, 2010

End of the AFM and 'Fort Beer'...

Today marked the last day for working on the AFM!! I was really happy to finish up the last sample. Now I need to sit down and analyze all of the data, but I think that will be less painful than trying to use the instrument. All in all, it went pretty well today with the exception of when I stabbed myself with a pair of sharp tweezers while trying to remove the magnet from one of the glass slides. Oh well, it shouldn't be the end of the world.

I was returning to campus after lunch when I came across 'Fort Beer', which had been built on the university's main quad. 'Fort Beer' had been constructed from Carlton Draught case boxes. Several students were running around dressed up as cases of beer trying to herd other students to the fort. The fort (which was quite large) contained several other students who were busy cooking burgers. I would guess that this was probably some sort of fundraiser. In any case, they were selling burgers and beer for lunch on the main quad of the university - definitely something that would not fly at almost any American university. Sometimes it is just nice to be in a place that is more relaxed. I would guess that those kids were supposed to legally have a license to sell alcohol, but who knows whether they were able to get a license for a fort made out of cardboard boxes. In any case, cardboard box forts are always cool - and this was no exception. I do miss the random fun things that take place on college campuses. I took some extra time today to just walk around campus during the lunch hour. A lot of people were out and about and it was fun to feel like a college student again!

Other than that, the day was pretty ordinary. I came back home a bit early after finishing up the AFM work and I have been working on some data analysis here and there. Tomorrow, I will give my U of Melbourne seminar and then a few of us will go to dinner on Lygon Street - likely to be my last dinner there...

No comments:

Post a Comment