Today was probably my last major adventure (in terms of travel) here in Australia. This morning I started out by driving down to the Mornington Peninsula. I had been down here before, but with the GPS I was able to take a more scenic route along the beaches of Port Phillip Bay. The weather was a little iffy as it had rained quite a bit over night. Unfortunately, it was a little too cloudy to be able to see the city from the beaches, but it was still a nice drive.
I stopped off at a few wineries along the way. It was so much nicer to be navigating the back-roads with the GPS compared to the last time I made the trip to the wineries. After visiting a few wineries and making some additional purchases (mostly gifts for people here), I decided that I would turn north and drive up to the Yarra Ranges National Park.
This drive had been suggested by an Australian driving magazine - and I can see why. The roads were very scenic and fun to drive. Part of the drive went through thick eucalyptus forests and the road was very narrow and not well paved. I made it through okay, but the driving was a bit more intense than I had expected. Later in the drive, the pavement improved and I really had a lot of fun driving through the windy forest roads. It reminded me a lot of driving back home in that the roads were just more interesting (compared to Texas where everything is more or less flat and relatively straight).
Those two components to my trip pretty much made up the entire day. I would say that the renting a car experience went pretty well and I was glad that I was able to do a few more things this weekend. I'm not quite sure what this week or this coming weekend will bring in terms of tourism. At some point, I am going to need to pack and start the process of heading back home...
No comments:
Post a Comment