Saturday, January 30, 2010

Williamstown

After speaking with Mom this morning via Skype and catching up on some travel planning, I went in search of a rainproof jacket for my trip to New Zealand. I managed to find a camping/backpacking store that had exactly what I needed. It was actually a really fun store to explore. I think that they probably had everything you could possibly need/want to go on an extensive backpacking tour. Anyhow, I was glad to have finished up one of the last remaining pieces of the puzzle that I had to fit into place before heading off to New Zealand on Monday.

After I returned from my shopping trip, I was looking through some travel information trying to see if I could decide on something to do for the later afternoon and evening. I came across a column written about Williamstown and decided to go and check it out. A relatively short train ride later, I found myself in Williamstown and I was off on my way exploring. Williamstown is located right along the western shore of Port Phillip Bay and it turned out to be a really fun place. A lot of the buildings have an older feel to them, and they are all located around quite a stretch of shoreline tracks and marinas/yacht clubs. It was fun to walk around and get some great photos of the moderately distant city skyline.

I made my way through town and went out to the waterfront park (a more remote area where you can walk right along the water's edge). The scenery was great and there were not many people there (adding to the overall effect of the walk). The coastline was rather rocky, but there is a relatively thin strip of sand that made walking along the shore much easier. A few people were out in the water playing with their dogs and the overall atmosphere was very relaxed and nature-centered. I saw several washed up (and, thus, dying) jellyfish along the shore. Some of them were huge! I tried to get a few photos of some of the more impressive ones. Some of them were more than 2 feet wide (or long depending on how you look at it). I haven't seen many jellyfish in my time, but I have never seen them this big. It definitely did not make me want to get in the water...

After my trip around the water's edge, I came back into the town and started the process of scouting out a good restaurant for dinner. I wanted to go somewhere that would offer some good, fresh seafood. After a few trips up and down the main drag, I decided upon The Dock's at Williamstown. This was a street-side restaurant and I was in luck when I got there since there was 1 empty table in the outdoor seating area. I promptly took that table and began enjoying the view of the bay and the surrounding town. I decided to have their herb-crusted salmon for dinner. It certainly was the best salmon I have had in recent memory, and may have quite possibly been the best salmon I've ever had. The fish was juicy and tender and the sauces and crusting were excellent! The fish came served on more-or-less garlic mashed potatoes with a side salad featuring a light citrus dressing. Everything was really good and I really enjoyed the entire meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment